Sewanee: The University of the South – Located in Sewanee, TN
Fun facts about Sewanee:
- Liberal Arts College with about 1800 students and a student to faculty ratio of 10:1.
- Starting with students enrolling in the fall of 2020, Sewanee will be offering financial aid that meets 100% of each student’s demonstrated financial need.
- Owned and governed by dioceses of the Episcopal Church, but is open to students of all faiths.
- Very much a residential environment with 99% of students living on campus.
- At 13,000 acres, Sewanee’s campus, referred to as The Domain, is the fourth largest college campus in the US and has copious opportunities for outdoor activities. The campus boasts an array of rock climbing and bouldering sites, 60 miles of hiking/biking trails, and “at least 10 caves with traversable passage.”
- Every student is guaranteed the opportunity to participate in at least one Sewanee-funded summer internship, many of which would otherwise be unpaid learning opportunities.
- Sewanee guarantees that students who stay in good social and academic standing will graduate within four years. Those who don’t graduate within four years will be awarded a fifth year at Sewanee tuition free.
- Students at Sewanee tend to dress up for classes as a sign of respect for their professors. It is normal to see boys in blazers and girls in dresses, even for those early morning classes.
- There are 24 Division III varsity sports teams. 30% of Sewanee students compete at the varsity level.
- There are 20 Greek organizations at Sewanee.