The Cannon School College Counseling department is committed to providing the Upper School community with timely information and updates regarding the impact of Covid-19 in the realm of college admissions. Students and families should, however, be consistently checking emails, following Twitter and other social media sites, and confirming information on the official websites of ACT, College Board and individual colleges students are researching for their application process.
California State University will move classes to online instruction for Fall 2020 at all 23 campuses
University of South Carolina reveals changes to Fall 2020 Academic Calendar.
Inside Higher Ed shares plans from multiple colleges on reopening campuses for Fall 2020
Standardized Testing Updates
Summer Program Updates
Due to COVID-19, some summer programs are moving their programs online. All students who have signed up for a summer program, camp or class should contact the hosting organization to learn the status of the program and to understand policies regarding refunds.
Opportunities for remote summer learning and exploration:
- Cooper Union Pre-College Programs – Introduction to Architecture Online
- Northwestern Wildcat Connect: e-Focus Seminars
- Rhodes College Summer Scholars, Summer Writing Institute, and Mock Trial Academy will all be held remotely
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute offers Launch (grades 9 & 10) and Frontiers (grades 11 & 12) programs remotely
- Banson NYC Fashion Summer Camps
- Baylor University Summer of Discovery
- Mircore Computational Biology Research Camps
- NYU Summer
Additional Colleges Opt to go Test Optional for Class of 2021
Colleges continue to make temporary adjustments to their standardized testing requirements due to the impact Covid-19. The following colleges announced recently that they will offer a test optional process for at least one year:
- College of William & Mary
- Elon University
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- Saint Louis University
- University of Louisville
- Rhodes College
- University of San Diego
- Villanova University
- Carleton College
- Fordham University
- Baylor University
- Loyola University – New Orleans
- The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Southern California
- Claremont McKenna College
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- UC System propose a 5-year plan to phase out standardized testing.
To keep abreast of the complete list of colleges who support test optional admissions visit FairTest’s master test-optional database. Institutions temporarily suspending standardized testing will be updated periodically to a supplemental file on the FairTest site. Updates are also available via NACAC.
Virtual College Exploration Opportunities
Opportunities for students to attend admission related webinars, explore colleges and universities and attend remote college fairs can be found here: