The Cannon School College Counseling department is committed to providing the Upper School community with timely information and updates regarding the impact of Covid-19 in the realm of college admissions. Students and families should, however, be consistently checking emails, following Twitter and other social media sites, and confirming information on the official websites of ACT, College Board and individual colleges students are researching for their application process.
- The Ohio State University pushes back its early admission deadline to November 15th in order to provide students additional time to prepare applications. To streamline their process, they will now only accept the Common Application.
- More Than Half of All U.S. Four-Years Colleges and Universities Will Be Test-Optional for Fall 2021 Admission
- Colleges and universities prepare for fall classes in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic
- Colleges are ditching required admission tests over covid-19. Will they ever go back?
Standardized Testing Updates
- New announcement from ACT: ACT Testing Updates: Summer Testing & Postponement of Section Retesting for 2020
More ACT information can be found:
- Additional ACT Updates
AP Score Reports available to students on July 17th
Summer Program Updates
Due to COVID-19, some summer programs are moving their programs online. All students who have signed up for a summer program, camp or class should contact the hosting organization to learn the status of the program and to understand policies regarding refunds.
Opportunities for remote summer learning and exploration:
- Experience Anatomy; Dissection Club and Aspiring Medical Professionals Dissection Camp
- InvestIN – Virtual and In-Person Internship Program
Additional Colleges Opt to go Test Optional for Class of 2021
Colleges continue to make temporary adjustments to their standardized testing requirements due to the impact Covid-19. The following colleges announced recently that they will offer a test optional process for at least one year:
- The Ohio State University
- Miami University, Ohio
- The University of Notre Dame
- Vanderbilt University
- Harvey Mudd College
- Northwestern University
- Princeton University
- Ohio University
- Duke University
- Georgetown University – Test Flexible
- John Hopkins University
- Lehigh University
- Rice University
- Harvard College
- Boston College
- Brown University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Yale University
- University of Washington
- Trinity University, TX
To keep abreast of the complete list of colleges who support test optional admissions visit FairTest’s master test-optional database. Institutions temporarily suspending standardized testing will be updated periodically to a supplemental file on the FairTest site. Updates are also available via NACAC.
Virtual College Exploration Opportunities
Opportunities for students to attend admission related webinars, explore colleges and universities and attend remote college fairs can be found here:
Virtual GAP Year Fair sponsored by Go Overseas: June 22 – 26. Multiple sessions offered; Pre-registration is required
NACAC Virtual College Fairs: Sept. 13th, October 12thand Nov. 8th
Colleges That Change Lives: Recorded Session Links
Online University Fair – Recorded Sessions
College Virtual Tours – Spreadsheet
You must be logged in to post a comment.